Wednesday, November 2, 2016

BEFORE IT WAS A HIT XXXI: I Swear. Continues tomorrow.

BEFORE IT WAS A HIT SONG
These songs are well known but you may not know about the earlier attempts to score a hit record with prior versions of the same song.
I Swear
 
In 1994, All-4-One enjoyed great success with the single "I Swear". It peaked at #2 on the British chart for 7 weeks. Over in the USA, the single topped the Billboard Hot 100 for an impressive 11 weeks. The vocal group's R&B smash actually started out as a country song. 
At the commencement of the same year, the original version of "I Swear" was making inroads on the Country Chart. By February, it was sitting at the top. That version was recorded by country singer John Michael Montgomery. The 2 interpretations are an interesting contrast. It also shows that a strong song can be approached in diverse ways.
Each new song will be added to the spotify playlist named: ‘Before It Was A Hit Song’.  You can check out the previous 30 earlier / original versions of the hit songs you know and love.
Red Red Wine
Tainted Love
Killing Me Softly
The Best
Wind Beneath My Wings
Hanging on the Telephone
I Love Rock ‘n Roll
Mickey
Got My Mind Set On You
Rivers of Babylon
It’s All Coming Back To Me Now
China Girl
I Can’t Stand The Rain
Last Thing On My Mind
Blame It On The Boogie
Do Wah Diddy Diddy
Don’t Leave Me This Way
Rhinestone Cowboy
Pass The Dutchie
Hit The Road Jack
I Want Candy
Whatta Man
Respect
Black Magic Woman
Gloria Video Killed The Radio Star
That’s What Friends Are For
Time Is On My Side
Knock On Wood
The playlist and other Caffe` Latte` selections can be found at:
spotify:user:alanrosscaffelatte

No comments:

Post a Comment