Wednesday, February 18, 2015

CAFFE` LATTE` TOP 2000 TRACKS
THE TOP 100
#38 SINCE I LOST MY BABY
THE TEMPTATIONS
(1965)
Writers: Smokey Robinson & Warren Moore
Beginning with a breezy intro, Smokey Robinson's lyrics and production at first give the impression that this is a cheerful song. As we draw closer to the chorus, we realize the plight of the protagonist in The Temptations' hit "Since I Lost My Baby". 
The Motown vocal group was blessed with a rich catalogue that included such landmark cuts as "My Girl", "Papa Was A Rolling Stone", "Cloud Nine" and "Ain't Too Proud To Beg"; that many have overlooked a gem like "Since I Lost My Baby". 
Before Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong took the helm as songwriters (and producer too, in the case of the former), Smokey Robinson steered the group through its initial success. He co-/wrote The Tempts' early 1960s hits "The Way You Do The Things You Do", "My Girl" and "Get Ready".
David Ruffin sang the lead vocal on "Since I Lost...". The other members contributed beautiful harmonies, giving the song a touch of gospel and soul aplenty. The single peaked at #4 R&B and 17 Pop in the USA. It was featured on the group's album 'Temptin' Temptations'. 
This is a list made up of the songs I enjoy the most, ranked in order of preference: the higher we go, the more I cherish them. Some were released as singles, others as album tracks. Some are obscure; others were worldwide hits or have universal appeal. They aren't always the most famous or popular, but simply a personal choice. I have excluded songs from the last few years in order to get a better idea of a song's lasting impression. I hope you find some new tracks to love, or re-discover some past favourites. 
Each weekday, a new song from the remaining Top 100 is added, while another 2 are also included from positions 1501-2000. Check back here  for an update of the 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment